Guys who are planning to learn and understand the topics of 10th Social ScienceEconomics can grab this Tamilnadu State board solutions for Chapter 5 Industrial Clusters in Tamil Nadu Questions and Answers from this page for free of cost. Make sure you use them as reference material at the time of preparation & score good grades in the final exams.
Students who feel tough to learn concepts can take help from this Samacheer Kalvi 10th Social Science Book Solutions Guide Pdf, all the Questions and Answers can easily refer in the exams. Go to the below sections and get 10th Social ScienceEconomics Chapter 5 Industrial Clusters in Tamil Nadu Tamilnadu State Board Solutions PDF.
Tamilnadu Samacheer Kalvi 10th Social Science Economics Solutions Chapter 5 Industrial Clusters in Tamil Nadu
Do you feel scoring more marks in the 10th Social ScienceEconomics Grammar sections and passage sections are so difficult? Then, you have the simplest way to understand the question from each concept & answer it in the examination. This can be only possible by reading the passages and topics involved in the 10th Social ScienceEconomics Board solutions for Chapter 5 Industrial Clusters in Tamil Nadu Questions and Answers. All the Solutions are covered as per the latest syllabus guidelines. Check out the links available here and download 10th Social ScienceEconomics Chapter 5 textbook solutions for Tamilnadu State Board.
Industrial Clusters in Tamil Nadu Textual Exercise
I. Choose the correct answer.
Successful Industrial Clusters In Tamilnadu Question 1.
‘The Detroit of Asia’ is …………….
Industrial Clusters Meaning In Tamil Question 2.
Pumpsets and motors are produced mostly in
Industrial Clusters Question 3.
Tuticorin is known as …………
(a) Gatew ay of India
(b) Gateway of Tamil Nadu
(c) Pump city
(d) None of these
(b) Gateway of Tamil Nadu
…………….. are an essential aspect of a nation’s development.
(d) None of these
Tiruppur is knowm for ……………..
(a) Leather tanning
(b) Lock making
Along with Ambur and Vaniyambadi is also a centre for leather goods exports.
IT means …………….
(a) Indian Technology
(b) Information Technology
(c) Institute Technology
(d) Initiative Technology
(b) Information Technology
A successful Industrial cluster entirely created by the Tamil Nadu is:
SIPCOT was formed in the year …………….
Which is the Tamil Nadu Industrial Development Agency?
(d) All of these
(d) All of these
II. Fill in the blanks.
1. ……………… are very important in the modem economic activities of man.
2. ………….. are groups of firms in a defined geographic area that share common market and technologies.
3. Hundred of leather and tannery facilities are located around ………………. District in Tamil Nadu.
4. ……………… is fondly called as ‘Little Japan’.
5. Special Economic Zones policy was introduced in …………….
6. ……………. is an innovator of new ideas and business processes.
2. Industrial clusters
5. April 2000
III. Choose the correct statement
I. Entrepreneurship promotes capital formation by mobilising the idle saving of the public.
II. They are not providing large scale employment to artisan, technically qualified persons and professionals.
III. Entrepreneurs help the country to increase the GDP and per capitals income.
IV. Entrepreneurs not promote country’s export trade.
(a) I and IV is correct
(b) I only correct
(c) III and IV is correct
(d) I and III is correct
(d) I and III is correct
IV. Pick out odd one.
Which one of the following is not having leather factories?
Which one of the following is not a Industrial developing agency?
V. Match the following.
VI. Give Short Answers.
Why should a developing economy diversify out of agriculture?
The demand for agricultural products remains constant at all levels of income, The agricultural products need to be processed and preserved to exports them, and there are limit for the primary sector to absorb labour. For all these reasons, a developing economy diversify out of agriculture.
Why are wages low in the agricultural sector?
There are limits to the ability of agriculture to absorb labour due to the declining marginal productivity of land. As a result, labour productivity in the agricultural sector cannot increase much. Wages cannot increase as a result poverty levels may remain high, especially when more and more people continue to rely on agriculture for their livelihood.
What is meant by an industrial cluster?
Industrial clusters are groups of firms in a defined geographic area that share common markets, technologies and skill requirements.
What are the routes for cluster formation?
Apart from the Chennai region, industrial growth has been concentrated in several small towns clusters. Throughout the state, with the western region being more dominant these clusters specialise in a range of activities like clothing, home furnishing, textiles, leather, poultry, coir products, transport, equipment servicing, engineering services and auto component making.
Mention the 3 areas of policy-making that helped Tamil Nadu become one of the most industrialised states in the country.
- Education – The state is known for its vast supply of Technical Human Resources.
- Infrastructure – Excellent Infrastructure facilities like transport facilities, electricity, markets, widespread m the state.
- Industrial promotion – Efforts taken to promote specific sectors like automobile, auto components. IT etc..
Mention any three industrial development agencies in Tamil Nadu and their role.
SIPCOT: (State Industries Promotion Corporation of Tamil Nadu), 1971
It was formed in the year 1971 to promote industrial growth in the state by setting up industrial estates.
TANSIDCO: (Tamil Nadu Small Industries Development corporation), 1970
TANSIDCO is a state-agency of the state of Tamil Nadu established in the year 1970 to promote small-scale industries in the state. It gives subsidies and provide technical assistance for new firms in the small scale sector.
TIDCO (TamilNadu Industrial Development Corporation), 1965:
TIDCO is another government agency to promote industries in the state and to establish industrial estates.
What are the problems of industrialization currently in Tamil Nadu?
- Some of the Industrial clusters tend to generate a lot of polluting effluents that affects health.
- Decrease in the employment potential due to use of capital intensive technology.
- Quality of employment suffer a§ workers are employed temporarily.
What is Meant by Entrepreneur?
Entrepreneur is an innovator of new ideas and business processes. He possesses management skills, strong team building abilities and essential leadership qualities to manage a business.
What is Entrepreneurship?
It is a process of an action of an entrepreneur Who undertakes efforts to establish his enterprise. It is the ability to run the business-facing risk and innovating new ideas.
VII. Brief Answer.
What are the contributions of industrialization to development?
As stated earlier, it is essential to produce inputs to other producers in an economy. Even agriculture requires inputs from industry such as fertilizers and tractors to increase productivity.
Second, a market exists for both producers and consumer goods. Even services like banking, transport and trade are dependent on the production of industrial goods.
Third, by using modem methods of production, industries contribute to better productivity’ and hence lower cost of production of all goods produced. It therefore helps people to buy goods at a cheaper rate and help create demand for more products.
Fourth, through such expansion of production, industrialization helps to absorb the labour force coming out of agriculture. Employment generation is therefore an important objective of industrialisation.
Fifth, a related advantage of industrialization is therefore technological change. Through use of modem techniques, industrialisation contributes to learning of such methods and their improvement. As a result labour productivity, ie, output per unit of labour input increases, which can help workers earn higher wages.
Sixth, expanding incomes lead to more demand for goods and services. If an economy is not able to produce enough to meet such demand, it has to rely on imports and therefore spends a lot of foreign exchange. If the economy does not earn enough from exporting, it will be difficult to meet the growing demand. Industrialization therefore helps an economy to save and also generate foreign exchange through exports.
Write a note on history of industrialisaton in Tamil Nadu.
- Tamil Nadu has a vast coastline therefore the region has been involved in trade with both South – East and West Asia for several centuries.
- The introduction of cotton cultivation in Western and Southern Tamil Nadu by the Colonial Government led to the emergence of large – scale textile Industries.
- The introduction of Railways also expanded the market for cotton yam and helped to develop this sector.
- The Chennai and Tuticorin ports in Tamil Nadu led to the greater Industrial development.
- The growth of Jaggery Industry in South Tamil Nadu and match factory in the Sivakasi region, Leather production in Dindigul, Vellore and Ambur region are remarkable development of Industries in Tamil Nadu.
- Another major development in the Western region is the introduction of electricity from hydro- electric power in 1930’s.
- The emergence of workshops for servicing engines and also for demand for spare parts.
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) in Tiruchy and Avadi Industrial Estate in 1950’s to supplying to the large firms in the region.
- The Salem Steel Plant was set up in 1973 to produce stainless steel.
- In 1990’s with the,ideas of Liberalisation phase, many MNC’s has been opened such as Nokia, Foxconn, Samsung etc.,
- Tamil Nadu has been halied as a model for successfully using the SEZ route to attract productive Investments also.
What are the important characteristics of successful industrial clusters?
The following are the chief characteristics of a successful cluster.
- geographical proximity of small and medium enterprises (SMEs)
- sectoral specialisation
- close inter-firm collaboration
- inter-firm competition based on innovation
- a socio-cultural identity, which facilitates trust
- multi-skilled workforce
- active self-help organisations, and
- supportive regional and municipal governments.
Write about the Textile industry cluster in Tamil Nadu.
- Tamil Nadu is the home to the largest textile sector in the country.
- Because of the development of cotton textile industry since the colonial period, Coimbatore is often referred as the Manchester of South India.
- Tamil Nadu is the biggest producer of cotton yam in the country.
- Palladam, Somanur small towns near Coimbatore region, and Erode and Salem region have large number of powerloom units.
- Cotton knitwear firms accounting for nearly 80% of the cotton knitwear exports and generates large employment in Tiruppur region.
- Because of the success in the global market, it is seen as one of the most dynamic clusters in the Global South countries in the Southern hemisphere.
Write in detail about the types of policies adopted by the Tamil Nadu government to industrialise?
Industrial Policy of Tamil Nadu:
Tamil Nadu enjoys growth and has excellent infrastructure. A straggly established cluster and political stability are the major advantages. The state government has a pro-active industrial policy and is very encouraging when it comes to SEZs.
Important industrial policies:
(a) Tamil Nadu Industrial Policy – 2014
(b) Implementation of Industrial Policy – 2015
(c) Tamilnadu State Environmental Policy – 2014
(d) Tamilnadu SEZs Policy – 2013
(e) Tamilnadu Automobiles and Auto Parts Policy – 2014
(f) Tamilnadu Biotechnology Policies – 2014
Explain the role of Entrepreneur.
Entrepreneur is a person one who possesses management skills, strong team building abilities and essential leadership qualities to manage a business.
Role of Entrepreneur:
- To promote development of Industries.
- To remove regional disparities by Industrialising rural and backward areas.
- To help the country to increase the GDP and Pre-capita income.
- They contribute towards the development of society by reducing concentration of Income and wealth.
- They promote capital formation by mobilising the idle saving of the citizens and country’s exports.
- Entrepreneurs provide large – scale employment to artisans, technically qualified persons and work in an environment of changing
- technology and try to maximize profits by innovations.
- To enable the people to avail better quality goods at lower prices.
- This results in the improvement of their standard of living.
VIII. Case studies
Choose a cluster in Tamil Nadu based on online research and write a note on it.
Do it yourself.
IX. Activity and project.
Write a note on a cluster or a firm near your school/home based on your observations.
Do it yourself.
X. Life Skills
Teacher and Students discuss about the entrepreneurs and their activities and Write an a essay in the topic of “If you are like a Entrepreneur”.
Do it yourself.
Industrial Clusters in Tamil Nadu Additional Questions
I. Choose the correct answer.
In the year 1965 …………….. was formed.
Countries in the Southern hemisphere are called Global ………………. countries.
……………. gives subsides and provide technical assistance for new firms in the small scale
………………. is nicknamed as the Detroit of Asia.
The MEPZ headquarters is located on:
II. Fill in the blanks :
1. Food products are taken over longer distances processed and ……………..
2. Countries in the southern hemisphere are called …………….
3. The ……………. district is the top exporter of finished leather goods in the country.
4. ……………. is famous for cotton knitwear.
5. Chennai is nick named as ………………
2. Global South countries
5. The Detroit of Asia
III. Match the following.
|4.||Tiruppur||(d)||Cotton knit wear|
|5.||Vellore||(e)||Truck body building industry|
IV. Answer briefly:
What is meant by the term ‘Industry’?
Any human activity which is engaged in the conversion of raw materials into readily usable materials is called an Industry.
What is consumer goods rector?
If the output is consumed by the final consumer, it is called as consumer goods sectors.
Name few examples of Industrial clusters.
Clothing, home furnishing, textiles, leather, poultry, coir products, engineering services, etc., are few examples of Industrial sector clusters.
How do clusters Originate?
Clusters may arise due to many factors. Certain clusters evolve over a long time in history when artisans settle in one locality and evolve over centuries. Hand loom weaving clusters are one example of this development.
Government may decide to encourage manufacturing using raw materials from a region, which may also lead to emergence of clusters.
Why is Coimbatore often referred to as the ‘Manchester of South India”?
Most of the cotton textile Industries are located in Coimbatore region since the colonial period, so it is called as Manchester of South India.
V. Answer in detail.
Write about the major Industrial Clusters and their specialisation in Tamil Nadu. Automotive Clusters:
Chennai is nicknamed as “ The Detroit of Asia” because of its large auto industry base. Chennai is home to large number of auto assembly and coponents making firms.
While there were a few domestic firms like TVS, TI Cycles, Ashok Leyland and Standard Motors earlier in the post-reform period, several MNC firms like Hyundai, Ford, Daimler- Benz and Renault-Nissan have opened factories in the region.
Tamil Nadu is home to the largest textiles sector in the country. Because of the development of cotton textile industry since the colonial period, Coimbatore often referred as the “Manchester of South India”
At present, most of the spinning mills have moved to the smaller towns and villages at a radius over 100 to 150 km around the Coimbatore city. Tamil Nadu is the biggest producer of cotton yam in the country.
Palladam and Somanur, small towns near Coimbatore and the villages near these towns, are home to a dynamic power loom weaving cluster as well. Power loom is however more widespread with Erode and Salem region too having a large number of power loom units.
Leather and Leather Goods Clusters:
Tamil Nadu accounts for 60% of leather tanning capacity in India and 38 % of all leather Leather footwear, garments and components. Hundreds of leather and tannery facilities are located around Vellore and its nearby towns, such as Ranipet, Ambur and Vaniyambadi. The Vellore district is the top exporter of finished leather goods in the country. The leather products sector too is a major employment generator.
Fireworks, Matches and Printing Cluster:
Sivakasi region, once famous for its match industry has now become a major centre for printing and fireworks in the country. It is believed to contribute to 90% of India’s fireworks production, 80% of safety matches and 60% of offset printing solutions. The offset printing industry has a high degree of specialization among firms with several of them undertaking just one operation required for printing. All these industries have their origin in the colonial period and at present offer employment to a large number of workers.
Write a note a Special Economic Zones.
- SEZ (or) Special Economic Zones are set up based on the policy that was introduced in april 2000.
- This was set up to have hazzle free environment for exports.
- The policy provides for setting up of SEZs in the public, private, joint sector (or) by the State Governments.
- It also envisaged that some of the existing Export Processing Zone would be converted into Special Economic Zones.
- Accordingly, the Government has converted EPZ into SEZ in almost eight places in Tamil Nadu.
- The Madras Export Processing Zone (MEPZ) is one of the seven export processing zones in the country set up by the Central Government.
- It was established in 1984 to promote foreign direct investment, enhance foreign exchange earnings and create greater employment opportunities in the region.
We think the data given here clarify all your queries of Chapter 5 and make you feel confident to attempt all questions in the examination. So, practice more & more from Tamilnadu State Board solutions for 10th Social ScienceEconomics Chapter 5 Industrial Clusters in Tamil Nadu Questions and Answers & score well. Need any information regarding this then ask us through comments & we’ll give the best possible answers very soon.